1000 books before kindergarten
Reading to your child is one of the most important way parents and caregivers can instill a love of reading and learning in a child. The 1000 Books Before Kindergarten program challenges parents and caregivers to read 1000 Books to their children before he or she starts Kindergarten.
Patrons can register online for the program below. Alternatively, you can visit the library’s Circulation Desk to pick up a convenient 1000 Books folio. In it, you will find your first book log, book recommendations, bookmarks, and more.
For every 100 books you share together, bring the reading log and your child to the library to receive a sticker along with your next log. When you have finished 500 books, your child will receive a free book. When you have finished 1,000 books, your child will receive a certificate of completion and a book bag.
Download the Beanstack Tracker App
Download the Beanstack Tracker App to log your 1,000 Books progress wherever you are!
- Read the same book as many time as you or your child likes. Read books in different languages if you like. Have friends or family members read to your child. Bring your child to storytimes at the library (these all count!).
- Don’t let the end goal discourage you.
- 1 book per day x 3 years = 1,095 books
- 3 books per day x 1 year = 1,095 books
- Have fun! Let your child pick out the books they want read to them. Use different voices or characters. Ask simple questions about the story or the picture. Have your child retell the book to you in their own words.
- Parent and caregiver welcome letter
- 1000 Books Before Kindergarten Instructions
- 1000 Books Before Kindergarten Reading Log